F. E. Burleson Elementary School can trace its history directly to the very beginning of public education in the City of Hartselle. It truly began in the mid-1800s when a private school was operating on College Street, the site of the old Hartselle Elementary School. To honor Forest Emory Burleson, who was principal for over thirty years, the name of the school officially changed to F. E. Burleson in 1967.
The old school that still stands today opened in the fall of 1916 and operated as a public school until the last day of the 2000-2001 school year. The tradition of excellence and the proud heritage of a strong public education system in the City of Hartselle continue here at F. E. Burleson Elementary School.