Hartselle City Schools ECLIPSE program
Hartselle City Schools ECLIPSE program is an inclusive preschool program for 3-year olds and 4-year olds, with and without disabilities. The ECLIPSE program (Early Childhood Learning in a Preschool Environment) will be housed at Crestline Elementary School for SY 2017-18.
ECLIPSE is an innovative program that is offered for preschoolers who reside within Hartselle City limits. Including children without disabilities is a fundamental component, as research shows that children with disabilities gain skills faster if the skills are modeled from appropriate interactions and observations of same-age peers. At the same time, children without disabilities learn about disabilities at a young age before they form misconceptions.
Structure of the Program
- The ECLIPSE Program is housed at Crestline Elementary School.
- At least 50% of the class members are typical peers (students without disabilities).
- In order to provide more specific instruction to both 3-year olds and 4-year olds with developmental delays or other special needs, the program will be divided into two daily sessions. The morning session curriculum will be geared toward meeting the skills that are developmentally appropriate for 3-year old children, while the afternoon session curriculum will focus on developmental skills for 4-year olds.
- Students without disabilities may apply for enrollment to this Pre-K program. They will have the opportunity to attend either full-day or half-day sessions, five days per week according to the Hartselle City Schools calendar. Tuition for typical peers will be based on their attendance, either full or half days.
- Students with disabilities may qualify to attend this program through their eligibility into Special Education. The Individualized Education Program (IEP) Team will determine the student’s participation based on their individualized goals. There is no tuition for students with disabilities, as their participation is based on their individualized needs.
- Children with special needs who meet the state requirements for eligibility and need a full range of services as determined by the IEP team are eligible to attend starting after their third birthday; they do not have to be three when the school year starts. They may continue to receive services until they are eligible for Kindergarten (age 5 before September 1st). Their level of participation in the ECLIPSE program will be determined by their IEP.
- An open enrollment period for typical peers (students without disabilities) will occur to fill class seats available, and a priority system will be used. Children of employees of Hartselle City Schools, who reside within the city limits of Hartselle, will be given 1st priority. Remaining spaces will be given to children who live in the Hartselle City limits, using a lottery system. A waiting list will be maintained in order to fill vacancies as they occur throughout the year. Typical peers have the opportunity to enroll in either the morning or afternoon session, or in both sessions.
- Children without special needs must turn 4 by September 1st to enroll in the ECLIPSE program.
- Students who enter the program as typical peers will have a one-month trial period. During this period, the developmental survey will be reviewed with regard to its accuracy. If inaccuracies are found, a child may be referred for special education testing, if appropriate, or the parents may be asked to make other arrangements for child care.
Registration & Tuition
- A registration form must be completed for all students attending the ECLIPSE program. This includes providing proof of residence, the child’s certified birth certificate, the child’s social security card, and blue immunization record.
- For typical peers, a $25.00, non-refundable registration fee is required for each family enrolling in the program. Registration priority will be given first to children of Hartselle City Schools employees and then to children who reside inside Hartselle City limits. Children of Hartselle City Schools employees must apply by May 5 to be given priority registration.
- Currently, five spaces are available in each session (Morning and Afternoon) for typically developing peers for the 2017 - 2018 School year. Tuition for typically developing students is $90.00 per month for the half-day session or $180.00 per month for the full day session. Tuition does not include meals.
The ECLIPSE instructional program will be as follows:
- Morning Session will run from 7:45 AM - 10:45 AM each day. Students may be dropped off as early as 7:30 AM and must be picked up no later than 11:00 AM.
- Afternoon Session will run from 11:00 AM - 2:45 PM each day. Students may be dropped off starting at 10:45 AM and must be picked up no later than 3:00 PM each day.
If you are interested in having your child attend this program, information may be found at the ECLIPSE link.